Thursday, June 22, 2006


Since I paid 100 rupees (about $2.50) for one day worth of internet services, I feel I should get all my thoughts down for the day. So bare with me :)

I arrived in Chennai to a temp. of 100 F and was picked up by someone from the organization. He dropped me off (not at the guesthouse where I was suppose to stay but was later told was full) but a hotel near the organization's office. The craziness of riding in a car in an Indian city is not exclusive just to
Calcutta, but to Chennai as well. Lots of cars and motor bikes and people all hurling themselves right in front of you or you doing the same to them.

The hotel is nice, although unfortunately, I will not be staying here the whole time.

After cleaning up and situating myself I took a little auto ride over to the office. This picture is from a previous trip but it gives you an idea of what the "autos" look like. They don't have doors and have only one wheel in the front.

At the office, I met with some of the staff and met with the boss (although I don't really have a boss). I realized today that a lot of the work I do will be on my own, except that he will provide guidance. The other staff seem really nice although I definitely am facing language-barrier issues with them all speaking Tamil and me, well not. They speak English too but fall into a lot of Tamil that is impossible to decipher.

Overall not a bad first day, just slightly lonely, a little daunting, and I'm left facing the pressure that a lot of this trip is what I make of it. Aarrgh! I'd really rather not be responsible about that myself but would look to blame it on the organizaiton :)

I'll likely be traveling around the state of Tamil Nadu during the first few weeks, but should be back fairly often to Chennai, the home base. I'll try and keep you all updated fairly often. I've done pretty well about not passing out today even though it's about 530 am and I've been up for the whole night...I'm trying to kill the jet lag with one swift kick. It's only 630 pm but it's pitch black already...I've definitely gotten used to the long
Seattle summer nights. Alright that's about all for now. Hope you're all well. I miss you all. Write back and I'll update again soon...

1 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger Subarna Mathes said...

how was the 10 year reunion? i decided not to go to mine. just too far and expensive.

this week has certainly been one of the toughest in terms of loneliness.

how does that saying go? that which doesn't kill you (from solitude) will make you stronger :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home